Job Posting: New Mentality Summer Intern
Hourly Wage Rate: $11.40/hour
Start Date: June 5, 2017
End Date: August 25, 2017
Number of Hours per Week: 40
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Apply for this job if you’re a student between the ages of 15-30 who just finished one year of school and are returning for another year (this is a requirement of the funding for this position). The ideal candidate is interested and/or experienced in youth work, has great graphic design and social media skills, and loves community mobilization and facilitating groups.
Because this role is within Children’s Mental Health Ontario’s New Mentality Program, you are excited to learn more about and contribute to strengthening mental health services for youth across Ontario.
Perhaps you know first-hand how to recover from a mental health problem like depression and that makes you passionate about this cause. Perhaps you are a visible minority or a person living with a disability and it is from this perspective that you have a passion for empowering youth to make a positive difference in their communities. All of this passion and interest is equally combined with an ability to organize and follow step-by-step plans towards your goal.
The Summer Intern will work with the New Mentality team out of our Toronto office to help us convene our signature Disable the Label retreat, which bring together over 100 youth, staff and allies for four days in July at YMCA Geneva Park in Orillia. This event brings together leaders from across Ontario who are making a difference in the lives of children and youth with mental illness. The Intern will support the designing, planning, delivery and reporting of the event. Specifically:
- Promote training on website and social media
- Design on-site training materials, including agenda, program, and resource package
- Provide on-site support to facilitation team
- Coordinate digital media during event, including live tweeting, Facebook posts, and photography
- Develop written report post-event, compile photos and artwork, develop online resources
- Other related tasks as required
- Advanced knowledge of Micosoft Office, WordPress, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Social media enthusiast and expert, skilled at making creative use of different channels
- Strong photography skills
- Strong writing skills and experience with various types of writing
- Self-starter with the ability to work well independently, and collaborate well with creative direction
- Ability to connect with people quickly – an excellent listener
- Ability to work under the pressure of tight timelines and rise to creative challenges
- Ability to synthesize information and communicate messages in a creative and engaging manner
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, a sample of something you have designed, and photography samples to Mary-Anne Leahy, Network Coordinator, The New Mentality: firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: noon Monday, May 8, 2017. Interviews will take place May 24-26. Only applicants
The New Mentality is committed to equity in our policies, practices, and programs. We strongly encourage and welcome applications from people who identify as Indigenous (Métis, First Nation, Inuit, on/off reserve), a person of colour, LGTBQQ2, living with a disability, or a religious minority.